In 1958, the City of Monterey officially changed the name of Ocean View Avenue to “Cannery Row” in honor of John Steinbeck’s 1945 novel of the same name. Formerly a canning district, the “Sardine Capital of the World” was all-but-abandoned when the sardines disappeared. In place of the canneries, entrepreneurs built restaurants, hotels and shops.
Readers of the Monterey County Herald, the county’s largest daily newspaper, named Cannery Row one of the “Seven Wonders of Monterey County” in a readers’ poll. The list reflects locals’ picks of the county’s very best features.